How can you get good dental whitening at home?
The teeth can get discolored due to irregular habits, smoking, improper brushing and various reasons. This is the same as Tooth bleaching. As a habit you should take good care of your oral health and these will not be needed in such cases.
Use Natural disposable brushes
Use Babul (Acacia arabica) twigs as natural disposable brushes by chewing on them. The tannin found in babul makes the teeth whiter.
The aerial roots of the banyan(Ficus religiosa) are good disposable toothbrushes. The banyan roots are astringent that increase the whiteness of the teeth. They also are good for health of teeth and gums.
Dry the leaves of the holy basil powder them and use it for brushing teeth. The leaves increase the whiteness of the teeth. Basil is also good for other dental problems like bleeding of gums.
Neem twigs are still used in India as toothbrushes and they help to get white and healthy teeth. Neem oils possess astringent and antiseptic properties to prevent bad breath, destroy microorganisms present in the teeth and to fight cavities.
Try baking soda paste
Mix baking soda with water to make a paste. Apply it on teeth and leave it for 2-3 mins. Gargle with lukewarm water to wash it off. Do this every night before sleeping.
With vinegar and salt
To half tablespoon vinegar, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda. Rub the mixture on teeth for sometime. Then brush your teeth and rinse mouth thoroughly with water. This removes stains from teeth.
Try basil leaves and orange peel paste
Take 6-7 basil leaves. Crush orange peel to create powder and take 2 tablespoons of this. Mix both to make a paste and apply it to the teeth with your fingers rubbing slowly. Leave it for a quarter hour and wash off with water.
Get one spoon of coconut oil and put it in your mouth. Rinse with it in your mouth for about 15 mins. After this spit this out the oil which contains toxins. You can repeat this once more and then brush your teeth and clean your tongue by scraping.
Don’ts for dental whitening
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid drinks like coffee and tea which cause stains on teeth.
- Eating berries can cause discoloration, preferably brush after having such food.
- Avoid sweets and chocolates.
- Eat iron rich and calcium rich foods which are good for teeth and prevent teeth discoloring or yellowing.
Do’s for dental whitening
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily to ensure your teeth are clean. Also brushing should be done properly across all teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after you eat something or drink any beverage.
- Drink plenty of water, this helps to reduce plaque.
- Try having bitter, pungent and astringent food, these prevent formation of plaque and reduce discoloration of teeth. Strawberry, tomato and Indian gooseberry having Vitamin C help in this regard.