“Mummy my stomach is aching” is a common phrase used by our little ones in order to play hookey from school or to avoid the food they don’t like. But ‘moms’ don’t always neglect them thinking it to be just another excuse. Because at times they can be true. If the symptoms re genuine and not so serious, then here’s a list of home made remedies, which can be very helpful at odd times.
Cough and cold
Suffering from cough and cold is a very common phenomenon with children, especially during the change of seasons. So here are some quick herbal remedies which can really help.
1. Take some Tulsi leaves and clean them in lukewarm water. Crush them properly. Now take five drops of this juice and mix it with half teaspoon of honey and let your child have it two to three times daily.
2. In case of chest congestion, give a handful of grapes to eat. But do not allow them to drink water immediately.
3. Oranges are very good for health. Make some fresh orange juice and allow your child to drink it two to three times daily. For infants use a quarter cup whereas for children of one to five years, one cup will suffice.
Another common disease quite prevalent in Asian countries which can prove fatal if proper precautions are not adopted. If the symptoms are minor, home-made remedies can help but in case of emergency, do consult a doctor.
1. First of all give your child only properly boiled water to drink because impure water may be the root cause of all the problems.
2. Tender coconut water given two to three times daily can prove to be an effective natural medicine.
3. Lemon juice mixed with salt or sugar given four to five times daily is very effective in killing germs of cholera. For infants a quarter cup is sufficient, whereas for children give a cup-full at a time.
4. Give a teaspoonful (mixture) of mint, lemon and onion juice (that is one part of each) two to three times daily.
5. Pomegranate juice, quarter to one cup given two to three times daily can really ease your baby.
Yet another problem that needs utmost care or else it causes multifarious problems such as stomach ache, loss of appetite etc.
1. A small cup of grated carrots taken every morning (empty stomach) is a very good remedy to clear out the threadworms.
2. Mint juice mixed with lime and honey, given two to three times daily will help to expel the germs.
3. Two apples taken during bedtime for seven to ten days can also help expel the germs. But no water should be taken after this.
The best way to keep the germs at bay is to clean the hands before eating and not much of chocolates please!
Yet another problem affecting some babies.
1. Two dried dates taken at bedtime can be of real help. Do not permit the child to drink much of liquid during the night.
It’s every mother’s dream that her child remains healthy. In order to gain weight the following remedies can be really effective.
1. One cup of carrot juice taken daily can make your child fit and strong .
2. Milk boiled with five to six dates fed at regular intervals during the day can prove really beneficial. It is not recommended for infants, as it is difficult for them to digest it.
The most common ailment affecting almost all children.
1. Again first and foremost, boiled water is recommended.
2. Some smashed banana mixed with curd fed twice daily can really help.
3. Grind a small piece of nutmeg (jaifal) and mix it with one teaspoon of water. Give the mixture twice daily. 4. For any type of dysentery or diarrhoea, take two teaspoons of khus khus (poppy seeds) and grind this with water. Add this to quarter cup of curd and give it twice daily.
1. Grind two cardamoms (choti elaichi) and mix it with honey. Let the child lick the mixture from a spoon.
2. Put two teaspoons of coriander seeds (dhania) in a cup of water and let it boil for some time. Cool the mixture and add red sugar candy (mishri) or honey and make the child drink it.
Last, but not the least, if your child is suffering from Lactose Intolerance, then apple juice can help prevent this type of diarrhoea.
So all you moms, try out these home remedies to bring back that sweet smile on your little wonder’s orbs.