Pigeon control is a necessity if you want your house to be safe for your kids and family. Pigeons are beautiful birds and everyone loves them outside the house. But they are a big nuisance if they make your house their nesting place. They transmit deadly micro-organisms and diseases that can put your kids and pets at dangerous health risks. Their droppings have a nasty smell and it is impossible to live near that kind of smell. Below i have discussed lots of pigeon control methods to get rid of them.
Ultrasonic pigeon repellent
These systems are of three types:
• Sonic repellent systems create loud noises for pigeons
• Ultra sonic systems
• Bio-acoustic systems create natural alarm, predator sounds, etc to scare the pigeons. These are sounds of bird in distress or sounds of its predators.
Tips to install ultrasonic pest Repellent
• Sonic and bio acoustic are audible to humans. So please take permission of your neighbours before installing them.
• Make sure that your neighbourhood is free of bats if you want to install a sonic system with high frequency ultrasonic option. Bats are protected species in many locations and high frequency ultrasonic sound disturbs them.
Some systems come with visual scaring light systems. It runs both on battery and current. Some people consider it to be inhumane as it can damage hearing of pigeons.
Pigeons can habituate to a particular frequency of a sonic system. So your system must have multiple frequency operations to operate. Multiple voice options come at a higher price.
Transmission is affected by rain, wind and surrounding buildings. Hence it takes a lot of time to find optimum installation place.
Pigeon spikes for roofs
It is a costly solution. It does not kill the pigeons but it simply deters pigeons from landing on your roof. It is nearly invisible to naked eyes once installed. It must be applied on all the nesting and landing places on your roof. If the pigeon tries to land on the roof, it will hurt with them with its needle like structure. It is approved by all human societies as it does not kill the pigeons.
How to install pigeon spikes
Order one either online or from your local shop. The product will come with installation guide. It will cover mainly the below points:
• Clean the droppings from windows, pipes, etc before installing it
• Once the area is dry, apply glue over it. Make sure that glue is uniformly distributed all over the area.
• Now fix your spikes on the glue.
• Check that the gap between strips is not more than 2 inches.
• If it is more than 2 inches, you have to add another row of spikes to reduce the gap
• Apply spike on all possible landing sites to deter pigeons
Please wear gloves and mask before cleaning pigeon droppings as it is not good for health. If a spike is damaged, replace it as soon as possible. Hire specialists if you do not want to install it yourself.
Check these points before buying spikes
• It must have warranty of minimum 5 years
• It should bend up to 360 degrees
• It must be light weight and move with wind
• It must not have gap of more than 2 inches between strips
• Its edges must not cut your fingers while installing it
Remember that the more than 2 inches of space between strips of your spikes will make them inefficient.
Deter birds from landing on your roof or balcony
Just remember that the prevention is better than cure. It is tough to get rid of pigeons as they are attracted by small amount of water and grains and they enjoy nesting on attics and window. So remove anything that can attract birds in first place.
• Dry your roof top. Water attracts pigeon at the first place.
• Remove any kind of grains or left-overs from the building. Birds love any kind of food.
• Keep your closed areas like garages well ventilated.
• Take special precaution on windows and attics as they are most common nesting places.
• Install pigeon spikes and sonic systems.
You can attract pigeons by placing water and grains inside the trap. Once pigeons feel comfortable moving in or out of trap, you can trap them to release later in a safe area.
It is particularly effective in closed areas. You can spray it all over the place. Pigeons found the smell annoying and leave the place.
Once the nests are removed, they will take the cue and move away. It is considered an inhuman method as sometimes eggs break inside the nest in removal process.
Electric shock system
You can get it installed on your roof. If birds try to land, they will receive a mild shock. It will deter them from landing on your place.
These chemicals are natural, non-toxic and biodegradable substance. It is mixed with water and applied near landing areas of pigeon. The solution mixes with dust. Now if pigeon tries to land, it moves into the mouth of pigeon (because of pressure created by wings).It leaves a horrible smell inside pigeon’s mouth. The pigeon dislikes it and leave the place.